You are planning to start your advanced shipping training with the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers?
- In total, the ICS offers 16 different exam subjects. A list of all subjects can be found on the ICS website under http://www.ics.org.uk/learning/syllabus. Clicking on the individual subject will open a description of the respective subject’s/exam’s contents.
- The following qualifications can be obtained:
The Foundation Diploma – Two exams (Introduction to Shipping plus another one you are free to choose) have to be sat and successfully passed in one exam season (May or November) for this diploma to be awarded.
The Advanced Diploma – Two exams (Shipping Business plus another one you are free to choose) have to be sat and successfully passed in one exam season (May or November) for this diploma to be awarded.
The Professional Qualifying Exams (PQE) – All in all seven exams (whereof four are the set subjects Introduction to Shipping, Shipping Business, Economics of Sea Transport and International Trade and Legal Principles in Shipping Business) have to be passed within 5 consecutive years. The successful completion of the PQE entitles you to apply for Membership of the ICS.
- If you can give proof of certain pre-qualifications, you may apply for up to three exemptions. You will find more information on this possibility on the ICS website http://www.ics.org.uk/learning/exemptions.
- Exams are offered twice a year in May and November. Please find the currently published exam timetable/s in a separate document next to this text.
- The ICS educational year starts at the beginning of August every year and concludes with the May exams in the following year. All important dates and deadlines as well as the fees determined by the ICS are available in another separate document next to this text.
- Registration as a student, tutorship enrolment or exam entry can be carried out online at www.shipbrokers.org. This is the ICS’ administrative platform for members, new and returning students. You will find information on how to register as a new student on the homepage. An information leaflet containing the most important details on how to use that website and on the registration process can be found next to this text.
If you require further information on the Institute’s educational offers or the registration process, please contact our secretary (see contacts).
Information for students who have already registered with the ICS:
You have already taken part in ICS exams and now intend to continue with or repeat exams?
- Currently published exam timetables, important dates and deadlines, as well as the currently valid fees determined by the ICS can be found in separate documents in the section ‘Information for new students’
- To enter or re-enter for exams you need to re-register as a student. (Student registration is valid for one educational year only!) Both can be carried out on this website: www.shipbrokers.org. This is the ICS’ administrative platform for members, new and returning students. You will find information on how to register as a returning student on the homepage. An information leaflet containing the most important details on how to use that website and on the registration process can be found in the section ‘Information for new students’
- Despite the change of the registration process to the new online system, which also offers the possibility to pay your fee online, you can still opt for payment in Euros to a German bank account. Detailed information on your payment options is included in the leaflet on online registration. Please make sure to inform us via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in case you would like to receive an invoice (issued in Euros) for your registration fee.
Our secretary is willing to answer any additional question you might have regarding study options and registration with the ICS.